Prostate cancer

My father died of prostate cancer. My body is very similar to his, so I suspect there’s a good chance I will die that way, too. So when my PSA score (which is a measure of prostate cancer) started rising last year when I turned 65, I was naturally concerned.

It rose to 4.7 by last December. Two independent urologists strongly recommended I have a biopsy.

I resisted their advice. The procedure seemed barbaric, risky, and potentially misleading. I didn’t have faith that it would produce a useful result.

Instead I intensified a diet I started many years ago, cutting out all meat, processed sugar, cow milk, and anything else which has been shown to feed and nurture cancer, while eating significant amounts of fruits and vegetables, especially cruciferous vegetables, which have been shown to fight cancer.

Every morning for breakfast, I have blueberries, pomegranate seeds, an apple, kiwi, walnuts, raisons, flaxseed, an orange, soymilk, raison bran, raspberries, and blackberries. And for lunch, I have two raw carrots, four tomatoes, a glass of green juice, a banana, an apple, raw mushrooms, spinach, dark chocolate, brazil nuts, cashew nuts, almond nuts, and whatever else I can find which is healthy and organic. Dinner is similarly healthy. Tonight my wife and I ate mushrooms, garlic, red pepper, cauliflower, black beans, corn on the cob, tomatoes, lettuce, and spinach.

I’m sure the hour of daily vigorous exercise I do helps me combat any prostate cancer I might have (or potentially have). Also I lead a meaningful and happy life virtually devoid of stress. I’m sure that helps, too.

I saw a TED talk recently by Dr. Dean Ornish, and he showed a slide of a patient’s prostate cancer, and how the tumor had literally shrunk after the patient had consumed a diet similar to mine. It was Dean Ornish who persuaded Bill Clinton to become a strict vegan for health reasons.

I read another scientific paper recently which said that when you drip apple juice on cancer cells in a petri dish, you can actually observe the cancer cells shrinking.

I hope I don’t sound too smug or complacent. I realize that I need to keep working on this. And I realize that there’s a chance that I will need traditional medical intervention at some point.

Anyway, my PSA last week tested at a reassuring 4.0 level, thus improving the chance that I will see my wonderful grandchildren (now both under three) blossom into middle age.

I’ll get tested again in six months.